Having a clean carpet is important. As many as 2,000 dust mites can live in…
If you’re shopping for carpeting, you may be basing your choice of what to get based on what type of carpeting is easiest to keep clean. While much of how your carpet stays clean is dependent on your living styles, there are certain types that are both beautiful and made to be durable, retaining a like-new appearance for years, with the proper care.
Easiest Types of Carpet to Keep Clean
The materials that make up your carpet make the most impact on how easy it is to keep clean and last a long time.
- Nylon is a strong fiber that resists wear, mold, and chemicals, making it a long-lasting option that can be cleaned with ease.
- Polypropylene is less expensive and can hold up well without fading or wearing out while also providing easy maintenance.
- Wool is ideal for a natural option, and it’s very thick and dense, so it hides dirt. Wool is more delicate, though, prone to fading and stains, and can be damaged by carpet cleaning solutions.
- Textured carpets, such as Berber, are durable and hide dirt, but the weave can hold dirt in the lower areas of the pattern, making it difficult to clean.
For homeowners concerned about stains, germs, fading from sunlight, and wear, take cues from how businesses and commercial organizations purchase carpeting. They often use antimicrobial treatments, choose carpet that is pre-dyed prior to being tufted to prevent fading and bleaching from cleaning solutions. Most important, they follow a regular schedule of having carpet cleaning performed to remove deep down dirt and stains.
What to Look for in a Carpet
Purchasing a good quality of carpeting is a good start in ensuring that you will be able to maintain it easily. For example, when you’re choosing carpeting, take a moment to bend the carpet backwards. Any good-quality carpeting should have fibers that are dense enough that you shouldn’t be able to see the backing when the carpet is bent back. This means it’s more durable and less likely to require carpet repairs in the future.
Also, some carpets are stain resistant due to a very high density of fibers that repel dirt and stains, whereas others are treated with special chemicals that repel stains. Whether your carpet is stain resistant or not, one way to keep it clean is to thoroughly remove stains immediately.
Maintaining Your Carpet
While choosing the right carpet is important to determining how easy it is to keep clean, it’s also important to simply maintain your carpet and avoid stains, dirt, and spills in the first place. That may sound impossible, but following these steps will help:
- Blot all liquid from a spill and even use a wet-dry vacuum to remove moisture. Once all excess moisture is removed, a gentle scrub with club soda can remove staining.
- Sprinkle baking soda and vacuum it up to remove odors.
- Remove shoes before coming into carpeted areas.
- Avoid bringing food into carpeted areas.
- Vacuum regularly will prevent dirt and debris from settling into the fibers. Use long, slow motions to ensure a thorough cleaning.
- Choose eco-friendly carpet cleaning – it’s safe for wool and other materials, doesn’t use detergents that can leave residues that attract more dirt, and sanitizes the carpeting, too.
Schedule Professional Carpet Cleaning Today
After choosing the right carpet, having it professionally installed and regularly cleaned will ensure a long life of beauty and comfort. Whether you’re looking for carpet cleaning in Durham, carpet cleaning in Raleigh or the surrounding areas, simply fill out our easy-to-use contact form below or call us at 919-332-3039 .for a free estimate.